Our History

Our Mission

 

Established in 1986, The Historical Society of Moreau and South Glens Falls is committed to collect, preserve, interpret, and hold in public trust the records and artifacts that document the history of the people of the Town of Moreau and the Village of South Glens Falls, to provide the community with educational opportunities through excellence in programs, exhibitions, and use of its collections, and to encourage and promote the preservation and conservation of the communities historic and cultural resources with a commitment to an appreciation of our heritage and its place within our greater American heritage.

While there is no historical record of why the town was named for Moreau, it is said that the General made a brief visit here in 1804 and that the townspeople so admired the qualities of the "visiting Frenchman", they honored him by giving his surname to the town. 

Parks-Bentley Place is one of the oldest historic structures in the area and is the only one that is open to the public. The original part of the current Parks-Bentley Place was built in 1776, with additions occurring circa 1830, 1840, and finally between 1850 and 1870.

Cornelius Bentley and his family had lived on East Sunnyside Road. In 1866, Cornelius bought the property on Ferry Boulevard. In order to raise fish, he maintained ponds on the property between the house and the river. His heritage came from knights and ladies in England.

Call Us:

518-745-7741

Email us: parksbentleyplace@gmail.com

Find Us: 

53 Ferry Boulevard
South Glens Falls, New York 12803

Visit Us:

Saturdays 1–4 pm

©2018 Historical Society of Moreau and South Glens Falls